Each year there are more than 16,000 North Carolina children awaiting a forever family. Would you be a perfect match for a child or children who want nothing more than a family of their own?
Adoption is a dream come true for a child in foster care and is a meaningful alternative for married couples unable to have children of their own. For others, who have already raised a family, it’s an opportunity to open their hearts and homes to a child in need. Adoption also can be the perfect choice for single men and women who are ready to commit to parenthood.
Each year there are more than 15,000 North Carolina children awaiting a forever home, and the families who choose them come from a variety of backgrounds. You don’t have to be the perfect parent or have all the answers. You don’t have to be wealthy or a certain age. You can be a working parent or a stay-at-home mom or dad. A variety of family situations work, but there is one question you need to ask yourself: Are you ready for your life to become more meaningful? You just might be a perfect match for a child or children who want nothing more than a permanent family.
Adoption could be the answer you’ve been looking for, and it truly is just the beginning of a rewarding journey. CHS is committed to helping you every step of the way and will provide lifelong support and assistance to adoptive families at little or no charge.
- parenting preparation
- home study services
- counseling for families and children
- post-placement support
- and a variety of services for the entire family
Many families with the emotional capacity, strong parenting skills and room in their home can foster as a first step toward adoption and the steps to foster are also the first steps to adoption.
There is only one application and your adoption/foster care processes will be facilitated at the same time.
Steps to Adopt:
- Contact CHS and request foster care and adoption information and application.
- Complete your application and return it to CHS.
- You will meet with a Specialist to discuss your interest in foster care, adoption, or both, and the services provided by CHS.
- Complete a training class known as TIPS-MAPP in your area.
- Complete a mutual home assessment and foster care license process.
- Receive approval as a licensed foster home.
Additional Steps to Adopt:
- Explore the type of children for whom you could provide the best permanent home.
- Complete a home study (pre-placement assessment)
- Receive approval to be an adoptive family.
- Discuss potential placements with your Specialist.
- Pre-placement visits with the child and people in the child’s life.
- Child is welcomed into your home
- Decree of Adoption is issued.
Ready to take the next step?
- Attend an optional information meeting.
- Apply now.
- Complete the required North Carolina Foster Parent Orientation. If there are two applicants, both applicants must complete the orientation and attach a copy of their certificates with their application or hand deliver at the time of the initial interview.