We appreciate your interest in Children’s Home Society of North Carolina (CHS). You have taken the first step in opening your heart and home to a waiting child. You must be a resident of North Carolina to become licensed with CHS (at least 9 months prior to application).
The children being referred from Departments of Social Services are of school age, with an average age of nine, and have been abused or neglected. They may be developmentally delayed or medically fragile, and some are part of a sibling group who need to stay together in a family. Some are occasionally children that are too young for daycare. All of these children require unconditional love and patience because of their prior experiences and circumstances.
The state of North Carolina requires that all adults (age 18 and older) residing in an adoptive and/or foster care home submit a certified criminal record check for any county in which the adult has lived for the past five years. CHS will complete a statewide North Carolina criminal record check for all adults residing in your home. The $20.00/per person cost for a criminal record check is required. This fee is non-refundable.
If you have any questions about the application, please contact 1-800-632-1400 and speak with Taneisha Richardson or Cynthia Johnson-Daniel.
Again, thank you for your interest. We look forward to working with you in the future as we strive toward improving the lives of children in the foster care system.
***If you are unable to make a payment online, please email email@example.com to receive a hard copy of the application.***
Before you start your application, please consider the following questions:
- Have you thoroughly read over the FAQs?
- Have you and your immediate family had a conversation about fostering? Are all of you committed to your decision to foster?
- Do you have reliable transportation and a valid NC Driver’s License?
- Can you demonstrate reliable income?
- Are you open to supporting sibling groups?
Thank you for your interest in applying with Children’s Home Society of NC. You will be redirected to Binti, our online application system. Binti will help you keep track of paperwork during the licensing process while you are working in conjunction with your Licensing Specialist.
NOTE: During the application process you will be responsible for obtaining the following if you or any other adult residing in your home have resided outside of the State of North Carolina in the past five years.
- A certified criminal record check from each previous state(s) or countries of residence. *Please contact the previous state’s County Clerk of Court’s office, police and/or sheriff’s department as a resource to obtain this information.
- Child Abuse/Neglect check from each previous state(s) or countries of residence. *Information will be shared with you about how to obtain the same upon receiving your application.