Therapeutic Foster Care is a temporary placement in a licensed therapeutic foster home for children and teens who have challenges in their ability to function within their own families, in school or in the community. These children may have cognitive or behavioral problems, developmental delays, aggressive behaviors, and often need support and supervision to help manage their health, welfare, and safety. Therapeutic foster care is considered a form of mental health treatment and licensed therapeutic foster parents are trained to facilitate the treatment based on behavioral goals that are established for the child.
CHS staff is currently integrating Together Facing the Challenge, an approach to therapeutic foster care developed by Duke University, into our program and services. Program specialists have become certified in the curriculum and are able to train, provide support and coaching to our licensed parents.
What Does it Take to be a Successful Therapeutic Foster Parent?
- Commitment to skill building through training and support
- Calm in the midst of stress
- Ability to be a team player
- Good stress management skills
- A good support system of friends, extended family, etc.
- Good communication skills
- A sense of humor
Therapeutic foster parent trainings include:
- 30 hours of basic pre-service training required for all foster parents.
- 10 hours of training specifically related to therapeutic foster care.
- Substance Abuse and its Effects on Families and Adolescents
- Crisis Intervention
- Working with Emotionally Disturbed Children
Licensing requirements include a fire inspection, environmental inspection, physical exams, and criminal record checks.
Therapeutic foster parents licensed with CHS receive a great deal of support and attention to enable them to do the best possible job of providing treatment and quality care for a child. Along with excellent training and skilled supervision, therapeutic foster parents with CHS receive competitive compensation and 24-hour emergency support services.
If you are interested in becoming a therapeutic foster parent, Please contact CHS for more information related to Therapeutic Foster Care in your area, 1-800-632-1400 or contact us.